1/07/2018

CAS Mix Up January Challenge - sending hugs

I was very excited when I found out that Nancy (scandinancy creates) hosted the CAS Mix Up Challenge this month and that she chose the Cling Wrap technique! I've been wanting to try it and I feel lucky that I get to watch the selected tutorial videos and see wonderful examples using the technique.



I recently bought gesso and Brushos so I decided to make cling wrap backgrounds using them. I coated watercolor paper with gesso, dried the paper, sprinkled Brushos over it, spritzed water, and covered it with a scrunched up piece of cling wrap.
And here's what I made with the cling wrap background:



I'm not exactly sure if it was because of the gesso coating or the lack of Brushos amount, but the background looked a little milky/murky.
You can also see the fine gesso brush strokes, which make the background look a little distressed. I used the background for an underwater scene today, so both effects worked well. It's so interesting to learn what works and how.



There's a lot of learning and more to explore. It's a great way to start a new year, isn't it? 

Thanks for stopping by today!


Stamp: Sentimental (Avery Elle)
Paper: Watercolor Paper (Canson - 140 lb), Whisper White (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Brusho (Violet, Cobalt Blue, Sea Green), Midnight Muse (Stampin' Up!)
Accessories: Reef Border and Frame Dies (Hero Arts), Elle-Ments Dies Sentimental (Avery Elle), Gesso (Liquitex), Foam Tape (3M), Thin 3D Foam Squares (Scrapbook Adhesives)

14 comments:

  1. Perfect sea green and blue colors in your beautiful Brushos Cling Wrap background for your die cut Reef Border and Frame, Hideko. I really love how your cling wrap technique turned out, my friend. I can't wait to see more of your beautiful backgrounds.

    It could have been your gesso that changed your Brushos colors a bit. I have had that happen with dye inks and watercolors.

    BTW, I LOVE your photo. You are so pretty and have a beautiful smile:-)
    I am I right that I have not seen your photo and About Me description before? TFS and Happy Stamping. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful underwater scene Hideko!! The muted colours from your gesso and brushos background are just perfect. And I like the added texture from the gesso layer as well. It fun to experiment and see what happens. You've made the perfect card with your cling wrap background. Love your beautiful under the sea die-cut frame. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. FIRST of all! You cannot imagine how happy I am to see your beautiful photo here today!!! Hideko, you're just as beautiful, as you are talented!
    I LOve your gorgeous little pond - and your sweet little turtle, fish, and all the sea life look right at home!
    Not only have I never used this technique, I've never used gesso! You are amazing, my friend...
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hideko, your underwater scene is gorgeous, Yes the gesso makes the inks a little milky but that's the beauty, it you check back to August in my blog you will see one with a sea horse. I love the brush effect the distress look wonderful. Thanks for joining in with the cling wrap challenge at CAS Mix up :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your background is perfect for an underwater scene, Hideko! I love that you tried something different with the gesso! Great job! Can't wait to see what else you create with this technique! Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes isn't it great learning new techniques and trying out different things? I love it too x Such a beautiful and unique background and that white die cut is fabulous....as is your card x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meant to say that I love your photo too and what a happy smile you have x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You achieved a beautiful soft effect with the cling wrap and the detailed die cut is beautiful and makes the perfect frame x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is beautiful!! Love the BG... Thanks so much for your kind words and wishes... hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a deep sea background, simply beautiful. I believe the Gesso helped maintain the granular aspect of the Brushos! SMART! Love the design too, FAB card.
    Thanks for joining us at CAS Mix Up! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your underwater scene is fabulous! I like the texture of the gesso! Wouldn't have thought that the brushos would work on gesso but you have taught me otherwise, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a lovely background you created Hideko - the underwater die cut is perfect over it! Thanks for joining us in the CAS Mix Up! It's so fun trying out new techniques! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. You do the "funnest" techniques, Hideko! Wish we could craft together. Your background is so pretty--perfect as an underwater scene!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! Your comments are much appreciated!