9/04/2017

CAS(E) this Sketch #237 - happy halloween

It's a little bit early, but I made a Halloween card this weekend. 



My design was inspired by Chrissy's sketch for this week's CAS(E) this Sketch.






Let me share my story about how I came up with the spider web idea.

I was thinking about what image I want to use for the fun "fan" shape for the past few days - when I was taking a shower, driving to work, waiting in the  checkout line at the grocery store... 
My first instinct was to place layered modern graphic shapes. Then I started thinking about some more nature-theme images. Nothing really hit me. I'm sure you all understand my feelings. I had "this-works-fine" moments, but didn't have a "Yeah, this is it!" light-bulb moment.

I went to a beauty salon on Saturday afternoon (still thinking about the sketch image while driving to the salon), and told my beautician about the challenge I was having. Hairstyling is a kind of art, and his wife is a professional graphic designer, so we often talk about art-related stuff.
Then he shared a piece of advice his wife often gives him. She says "The design software (Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.) is only a supporting tool after all. You should first draw a draft design with your own hand freely, and explore ideas."
So after I came back home, I started doodling with a pencil. It's true, I'd been  thinking about the design a lot, but just IN my head, not actually drawing something on paper.
This is one of the designs I doodled on scratch paper:



I looked for a spider web stamp, but the one I have was a little too small for the layout, so I decided to draw it myself.
I didn't find good Halloween sentiment stamps in my stash to match the cute little spider, so I created one using MS Word (font: Octavia Script). 
I test-printed the sentiment to make sure the position was right. I also stamped the spider to see how low it should dangle.


I drew the web with a black pen, and framed the front panel with the Halloween design paper.
I thought about adding a few Halloween color sequins or grey spatters to the card, but I decided not to. I wanted to keep the doodle-on-paper feeling. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.


Thanks for reading the lengthy post today! Do you have your own way of dealing with situations where you can't think of any good ideas?



Stamp: Googly Ghouls (Stampin' Up!)
Paper:
Whisper White, Basic Black, Pumpkin Pie, Witches' Brew DSP (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black (Tsukineko)

11 comments:

  1. This is absolutely brilliant Hideko ! Everything came together perfectly for this card! Thanks for sharing your thought process... and yes I also walk around with ideas in my head for days :)
    So glad you found inspiration at CTS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how fun! Fabulous take on the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely brilliant! Loved hearing about your creative process, and the web you drew is just delightful. The font is perfect for your Halloween flavor and the little spider looks pretty happy in his web. Great card. I think you've got a winner here! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG..wonderfully creative doodling my friend! When I first admired your CAS Halloween design I wondered..did Hideko hand draw her geometric spider web? What fun to read the process of your design..head to paper:-) My favorite places to design cards in my head are fixing dinner and/or drifting off to sleep:-) I loved reading your story. TFS your fun post Hideko. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW..your colorful Halloween DSP really made your CAS image pop! Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes we often forget to actually draw, we all rely on our stamps, dies, technology etc so thank you for reminding me....Such a clever card and so love the inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This is so creative and perfect in everyway! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, wow, wow!!! What a great story from idea to design to execution! I love how the focal point of the card is just simple black and white and how you've added the striped border around the edge for some contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, this is adorable! I love this so much, so cute! Beautifully done, and such a good idea for the challenge! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! This is simply brilliant! Congrats on being on of the CTS favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who needs stamps, when they have this talent? Just fabulous!!! Not one bit of embellishing was needed, Hideko - but what a great choice of paper for your base!
    =]

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! Your comments are much appreciated!