2/01/2019

CAS Mix Up February Challenge - rain or shine

It's the 1st of the month and time for a new challenge for CAS Mix Up.
I am excited to be hosting my first challenge here and I chose Dimensional Die-cuts as the theme because die-cutting is one of my favorite techniques.

We have a wonderful Guest Designer, Arlene (Sundaystamper Papercrafts), for February.




Here's my card:


Using Dimensional die-cuts, Heat-embossing, Sponging, and Stamping


[How I made the card]
1. Heat-embossed the balloon string background stamp on the card base with White Satin Pearl. (*1)
2. Sponged a piece of vellum with the light blue distress ink, dried it well, and die-cut it with the rain drop dies. Then I curled the die-cuts with a size 2 watercolor brush handle (*2).
3. Die-cut an umbrella and shaped the spaces between the stays with a stylus. Brushed the stays and the handle with Aqua Shimmer pen.
4. Die-cut letters to make "rain" and "shine" from Island Indigo cardstock.
5. Glued the tip of the raindrops onto the heat-embossed card base. (*3)
6. Put some Dimensionals behind the umbrella to add dimension and adhered it to the card base.
7. Glued the words, "rain", and "shine" onto the card base. Stamped the "or" of the "Naughty or Nice?" stamp to complete the sentiment.




*1. I brushed off some embossing powder before heating it so that the pattern is only partially heat-embossed, not the entire card.
*2. It worked better than a stylus handle because the die-cuts were very small.
*3. Gina K Connect Glue didn't leave any marks on the vellum after it dried.


If you're mailing this kind of card with dimensions, a protective case is helpful.
I use A2 Clear Card Boxes from My Favorite Things. (Sorry, they're discontinued, but other companies make similar items.)



The challenge is open until February 24th. I'd love to see your CAS card with dimensional die-cuts in the gallery!












Stamp: Balloon Strings, Gift Tag Greetings (My Favorite Things)
Paper:
Whisper White, Island Indigo (Stampin' Up!), Translucent Vellum (My Favorite Things)
Ink: Island Indigo (Stampin' Up!), Distress Ink (Broken China - Ranger), VersaMark (Tsukineko)
Accessories: Die-namics Color Drops STAX, Layered Umbrella, Birdie Brown Alphabet & Numbers), Embossing Powder (White Satin Pearl - Hero Arts), Nuvo Aqua Shimmer (Glitter Gloss), Dimensionals (Stampin' Up!)

17 comments:

  1. Such a unique and very creative card. Love the dimension from the die cuts on the pretty umbrella and the rain drops. The stamping and heat embossing on the background looks beautiful too. One very beautiful card. Thank you for the step by step and for the fun challenge x.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, this is absolutely stunning, Hideko! I love the subtle embossing on your background...so clever to use balloon strings! I also love how you created dimension on your design with the umbrella and rain drops! A really striking and fabulous card!
    Please excuse my deleted post...a quick edit and I'm all set :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So clever to do the raindrops that way - the vellum makes them translucent and there is just enough blue for contrast. Love the embossed background and popped up umbrella. A perfect card for me today - it's raining here in Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely Stunning CAS dimensional die cuts card design, Hideko. Your heat embossed balloon strings are so subtle and a wonderful background for your beautiful sponged vellum dew drops. Loved how the glue did not show thru. Wonderful dimensional die cut umbrella and so clever using your die cut letters for your sentiment. Love every single detail of your beauty, my friend. Thank for hosting CAS Mix Up and choosing a fun challenge this month. Hugs...Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your have chosen a wonderful challenge, my friend! And your card is fantastic! The dimensional umbrella and raindrops really grab the attention! But the balloon string background takes my breath away! What a wonderful, subtle background and I love how you've embossed just a portion of the background! The font of the die cut letters is perfect and guess what's in my next order!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the raindrops just blew me away. Hideko this is such a wonderful card with the umbrella balloon strings and the rain drops :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant raindrops Hideko, and I love the subtle texture in the background, gorgeous CAS card. I love diecuts too and creating dimension with them is so much fun. Great tip for posting in the box too, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE all the wonderful dimension on your very elegant card Hideko!! The string embossed white-on-white background is the start ... creating such a beauiful background for your pretty shaped umbrella and dreamy raindrops. Such a clever and creative way to add dimension. Fantastic design! So excited about this challenge Hideko ... it's going to be so much fun to see all the dimension entries! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your card looks very interesting with the dimensional diecuts..I loved it a lot !

    ReplyDelete
  11. And your card is absolutely STUNNING!! I adore it! Love how you did that BG, so pretty and the sponged vellum makes for perfect raindrops with that lovely umbrella

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the dimension in the umbrella and the pretty soft raindrops, beautiful card Hideko.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoa! Absolutely LOVE your card, Hideko! It’s so elegant and GORGEOUS! Brilliant vellum raindrops and the dimension on the umbrella. I think I need that umbrella die! 😉 Fun challenge. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a precious card. The beauty of rain, that's the feeling in this special card. Light and airy, BRAVO! Absolutely love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is absolutely breathtaking, Hideko! My favorite card of 2019! So simple, but so hugely impactful!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is so beautiful Hideko....love all the elegant details you added.
    x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay for hosting your first challenge! And I love that it involves dies AND an umbrella! Those giant raindrops are awesome and Balloon Strings for the background is the perfect choice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! Your comments are much appreciated!