10/03/2018

CAS Christmas Card October Challenge - peace

We have a new fun challenge at CAS Christmas Card Challenge this month.
Our talented designer Susan is hosting the challenge and the theme is Birds. 
We have a wonderful Guest Designer, Sue (Sue's Card Craft).



And here's my card:



I stenciled the holiday tree medallion with white pigment ink and added a red Nuvo crystal drop in the center. The dove and the sentiment were die-cut from a piece of felt and cardstock. The cardstock die-cuts were just for backing the felt die-cuts.

Well, it sounds very simple and quick, doesn't it?
Actually, it took me two more cards to get to this card. I'm sharing how I got to the final version today.

This was the first card I made: I thought the stencil took up more space than I wanted and the open space was kind of pushed to the side.


So I made the second card: First I changed the stencil to be more Christmas-like, and stenciled a smaller part of it. The open space issue was improved.
But I didn't like it because the center of the stencil turned out to be lower than I expected and the sentiment font didn't quite match the design style of the bird and the stencil.



And the final version is this: I moved up the center of the stencil. I was not able to find a good "peace" stamp, so I used a felt die-cut for the sentiment.


I feel the card finally looks finished.
I wish I was a quick learner. I sometimes get frustrated with re-doing cards until I'm happy with them. But at the same time, I enjoy the learning process, so I'll probably continue re-doing my cards as long as the time allows. 😊

Please check out the challenge blog and you'll find lots of inspiration from the cards made by Design Team and Sue. I hope to see *your* bird CAS Christmas card in the gallery!




Paper: Night of Navey, Soft Sky (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Craft Stampin' Pad (Whisper White - Stampin' Up!)

Accessories: Stencil (Holiday Tree Medallion - Simon Says Stamp), Die (Bird Shapes - Ellen Hutson, Winter Words - Reverse Confetti), Felt (Berrylicious - My Favorite Things), Nuvo Crystal Drops (Rhubarb Crumble), Sheer Shimmer Spray (Sparkle - Tsukineko)

16 comments:

  1. I think all three are beautiful Hideko, but I do see what you mean about the third card as the positioning and proportions look better to the eye, but I think I would probably not done it three times, but hopefully they will all get used. I love the dark blue card and the medallion shows up beautifully using the white ink, and complements the pretty felt bird and die cut sentiment, and the pop of red for the medallion centre looks great. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hideko I do hope you'll send all three! You always know best where, what, how and OH do I love the felt birds... so glad the re-dos didn't leave them out. I must tell you that I love the white ink through the stencil... what a gorgeous glow you've added, my friend... xx
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you saved all 3 of your beautiful Christmas cards, Hideko. I agree with small changes you did add a more balanced card, but without seeing your final card, I would have thought all 3 of your cards were perfect. You have such a perfect way of balancing your card designs. I LOVE the glow from your sponging with white pigment ink too. TFS my friend. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a lot of patience to make this card three times. Your final version is amazing with the placements and balance. Adding the larger felt peace die-cut makes a HUGE difference. But, at the same time, the other two versions are lovely Hideko! Hopefully you kept all three to send out this year. Great work! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your journey to your last card, Hideko. I rarely get it right the first time! And I'm a trial and error person. Sometimes it takes a LOT of tries! All of your cards are good and I think anyone would be happy to receive either one of them. The third card is perfect! Love that dove and the die cut peace matches it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The all look wonderful Hideko, I consider it as making variations of the card all equally beautiful :) Great idea using felt for your peace dove and one of your sentiments, it adds so much texture. I also love your white stenciling against the blue background.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hideko I had quite a chuckle when I read your post. I do exactly the same as you and often make many cards before the 'real' one. I am so glad I am in such creative company x.
    Your card is perfect....Great layout, beautiful stencil work and the the most serene peace dove die cut. All finished off with the most perfect placement of the 'Peace' sentiment. Stunning card Hideko x.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to laugh a little at your process to come up with a final card too Hideko, as I'm the same way on some of my cards. Some come together so quickly and others take MANY revisions!! We really are our own worst critics sometimes! But anyway, I think all 3 versions are absolutely lovely, but I do like your final version the best! Beautiful, beautiful card!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these cards, Hideko. What a great idea to use a dark colour card base, I always forget about that and use white. Love the white stencilling and dove with the pop of red. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing perseverance, Hideko! They are all beautiful, but your final version is CAStastic. The die cut peace stands out better too. Love your use of felt... so different and cool! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would never have thought to use white to stencil and my, this looks fabulous! Love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your card is awesome and so pretty. Sometimes it takes me two or three times before I get it right, too. Great perseverance, Hideko. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All three cards are beautiful but you are right that on the last one everything goes perfectly together. But I do hope you won't throw the other two out because I am sure somebody on your list will be happy to receive them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think sometimes we are our own worst critics! All three of your cards are fabulous. And I love your die cut peace out of felt too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always love to see your approach. Using this dark card stock with white stencilling is very original + the use of felt ...as are all of your cards. Can't choose, love them all! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very late comment from me - I'm just catching up with commenting on all the CAS DT cards I missed while on vacation! I love your final card - gorgeous dark blue as a contrast for the lovely white dove and extra interest from the subtle stencilling! Thanks for sharing your struggles with the placement of the stencil - a good lesson for me as I struggle with that too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! Your comments are much appreciated!