5/15/2020

CAS Mix Up May Challenge - hello

Hi everyone,

Have you tried the Gesso Resist technique featured in the May CAS Mix Up Challenge? I tried stamping with Gesso earlier this month, so I tried another way to use the technique this time. 



Here's my card:



Using Gesso Resist, Stenciling, Die-cutting, Dry Embossing, and Stamping


[How I made the card]
1. Coated a piece of Mixed Media paper with Gesso and let it dry.
2. Colored the Gesso piece with Distress Crayons (using three browns).
3. Put a stencil over the colored Gesso paper and removed the colors with baby wipes. The Distress Crayons came off because they reacted with water and Gesso worked as a resist for the surface of the paper.


4. Die-cut a frame and dry embossed the frame to add subtle texture.
5. Cut the stenciled Gesso paper into a rectangular shape and adhered it to the frame.
6. Die-cut the sentiment two times from white cardstock and one time from the leftover crayon colored Gesso paper, stacked them together, and glued them to a piece of vellum. Trimmed the vellum to make a shadow. (*1)



7. Glued the sentiment to the front panel and popped up the front panel on the card base with foam tape.
8. Stamped a little heart at the beginning of the stroke of hello. (*2)

(*1) I was originally going to adhere the die-cut sentiment directly on to the panel, but the sentiment got lost in the busy background. I didn't have a shadow die for the sentiment, so I fussy-cut the vellum.
(*2) I thought I finished making the card at Step 7, and I was going to take a photo. Then I realized that I didn't use a stamp!! 😱 It seems that I often forget to use a stamp when I'm into making a card.
I was not sure where to stamp or what image, but after thinking for a while I decided to stamp a tiny heart in red to add some color.


I liked the distress look worked well with the tree image.

You have until May 24 to link up your card here. I hope you'll try this fun technique!








Stamp: Countless Sayings 2 (Stampin' Up!)
Paper: Mixed Media Paper (Strathmore - 140 lb.), Whisper White (Stampin' Up!), Translucent Vellum (My Favorite Things)

InkReal Red (Stampin' Up!)
Accessories: Distress Crayon (Antique Linen, Vintage Photo, Walnut Stain), Stencil (Stampers Anonymous - String), Dies (Antique Frame - Penny Black, Sentimental - Avery Elle), Embossing Folder (Subtle 3D - Stampin' Up!), Foam Tape (3M), Connect Glue (Gina K)

11 comments:

  1. I love the fresh simplicity of this beauty. Such an interesting approach too. That little red heart caught my eye on that framed tree scene (my perspective). Superbly done xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, my friend for sharing ALL your steps! Such a clever, creative Gesso String Stenciled main image with the brown tones. Loved your Subtle dry embossed die cut frame and die cut sentiment with the vellum fussy cut background. I can't tell you how many times I have forgotten the stamping part of this challenge, but always managed to come up with something I could add. Loved your sweet tiny red stamped heart. The perfect final embellishment. This is a Challenge after all:-) TFS..Stay safe and Creative, Hideko. Love and Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool!! I LOVE how you make this card Hideko! Great idea to use a baby wipe to remove excess crayon. I love the earthy look of your card. The hello sentiment does stand out more with the vellum layer - great idea. And the sweet heart is the perfect finishing touch! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so clever and so lovely Hideko!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and artsy card, Hideko. Such an unexpected and creative use of the gesso resist technique. Great catch and fix for the missed stamping part of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely, Hideko... you've really shown how it can work perfectly in unexpected ways!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forget the stamping a lot of times. That little heart adds so much to this lovely design! You are so creative with the gesso and crayons! What a fantastic technique and I love the look, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love that stencil, such a beautiful card and I love the neutral colour palate :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work with the design elements Hideko, I would never have thought to use crayons in this way. Your card is delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too often forget to stamp Hideko, when I am playing with techniques x. I always enjoy reading how you make your fabulous cards and today I have learnt another new technique.....Thank you x. What a wonderful CAS card, so unique and with a fun technique and finished off beautifully with that cute 'stamped' heart x.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so cool and such a great take on this months challenge xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! Your comments are much appreciated!